My name is Khashba Raed and I am 21 years old. I come from Aleppo, Syria. I am an ESC volunteer at Open Cultural Center (OCC), in Barcelona. My tasks are teaching Arabic, going to schools to inform people about the situation of refugees and to prepare food for the events of OCC.
I really love cooking sweets. I started cooking sweets because I was forced to start working from an early age. Thus, I found a job in a bakery in Syria making sweets.
I enjoyed this experience so much that I also started cooking for myself and for my friends. BelowI present to you a recipe of a very special Arabic sweet.
- 500g of semolina 4 eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- ½ cup of frying oil
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of desiccated coconut
- 2 backing powders
- 2 vanilla pods
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 1 spoon of lemon
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees C.
2. To make the icing:
- Put the water with the sugar in the heater.
- When the water starts boiling, leave it for two minutes and take them off the fire.
- Then add the lemon.
3. In a bowl, put the semolina. Then beat in the eggs, one at a time and add the milk. Add the oil, the sugar, the desiccated coconut, the baking powder and the vanilla pods and mix them together.
4. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven.
5. Your cake is ready!